Red Pepper Basil Julep

Sunday, October 5, 2014

There's this great bar that is right around the corner from where we live. At the Local Peasant, they serve this amazing basil-pepper martini. It's one of those menu items that sounded so weird and unusual that I just had to try it. It's so crave-ably delicious that it's the only drink I'll ever order there.

When I got my Farm Fresh to You box, there was a single red bell pepper inside. I'm not the biggest fan of bell peppers -- maybe it's just the texture -- but I love the flavor. I decided to try my hand at infusing the pepper flavor into a cocktail... Turns out, it couldn't be more simple. For the first steps, all you'll need is a bell pepper, a jar, and your favorite liquor. This could work well with rum or vodka, but I had a bottle so SoCo whiskey on hand.



Slice your pepper into rounds and remove the seeds. Place inside a jar and cover with whiskey. Store in a cool, dry place for between 12-24 hours.



Once your pepper has had the time to infuse properly into the liquor, gather your next ingredients.

To make two red bell pepper basil juleps you'll need:
- 4 ounces of pepper infused whiskey
- 6-8 basil leaves
- juice from half a lemon
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ice

In a martini shaker, muddle together half the basil leaves, the lemon juice, and honey. Pour the whiskey over the top and stir to combine. Strain into a lowball glass filled with ice, and garnish with the remaining basil and a couple of the pepper rounds.

Sip the sweet, spicy comfort and enjoy!
 

I served our juleps with Alex's favorite "roasted" potatoes from Farm Fresh to You, asparagus, and steaks.  Recipe for the potatoes is up next...


This post is sponsored* by Farm Fresh to You. To get $10 off your first box, click the image below, and enter code ANNI9875 at checkout.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design