Past Work - My Prom Dresses

Thursday, February 11, 2010


Prom is so much fun! I went all four years in high school. I'm not posting what I wore my Freshman year because I didn't make it myself. If you must know, I wore a black strapless knee-length dress with a hot pink sash.

The first photo is from my Sophomore year. I wanted to make something really wild, but with a formal edge. I got this tuxedo vest from the costume closet in at my high school. (Sorry, Mr. Shelby! I stole this!) The skirt is made out of lace, tulle, and organza. Looking at this photo kind of makes me laugh because it really shows how far I've come in my sewing skills... Look at that hem!

The second photo is from my Junior year. I wanted to wear something long because I had worn short dresses at the past two proms I'd gone to. The skirt of the dress is made out of crepe-back satin. Such a forgiving fabric to work with! And the top of the dress is felt overlayed on mesh. Yeah, I wore felt to prom.

The final photo is from my Senior Prom. This is my favorite prom dress. (That's me with my date, Trevor.) I think my sister, Maija, gave me the fabric. I'm not sure what it is, but it's amazing! It's a sort of iridescent orange/gold color. I offset the orange with a contrasting aqua velvet ribbon. I put a lot of work into this dress. The skirt had a look of layers and pieces, and sewing the neckline was something very new to me. I'm happy with the way it came out, but I wonder what would happen if I tried to make this dress again. I'm sure I'd get some better results.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you made your senior year prom dress... it's so nice! Do you still have it???

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design